I am a Group Fitness Instructor. I teach Freestyle Step Aerobics, BodyPump, Indoor Cycle, Boxing Classes, Circuit Classes, and Aqua Aerobics.

Oh, yeah... and it's not just fat, apparently there's a baby in there too :)

Thursday 13 November 2008

Freestyle Aerobics in Hong Kong

I've been searching all over the internet for freestyle classes in Hong Kong. There seem to be plenty over there. What intrigues me is the names they give their classes.

Here in Melbourne, we're simply happy to call our Step Aerobics classes by one of several, fairly straightforward and self-explanatory names - Step (intermediate), Step Basic, and for the more advanced or those who like more full on choreography, Step Moves. Every now and then you might even still see Step Athletic which is like Step Basic, but traditionally guarantees lots of high intensity, high impact-style moves for those really focussed on high-caloric expenditure.

As for the names they use in Hong Kong...

  • not Step Basic, but Step 101
  • not Step, but 1 Step Up
  • not Step Moves, but Steptacular
  • and finally, the fourth level, super-choreographed is Freaky Step
  • oh, they also have Duo Step
The names for hilo classes are just as outrageous, being, from beginners' to advanced - Aerobics 101, In Between Hi & Lo (or as James put it... does that mean medium??), Sweat Shop, Cardio Groove...

Whilst, yes, granted, the class names are highly creative, I wonder how effective that is in getting people in to the classes themselves? If it weren't for me looking up the list of names online I would not have realised that they classify everything into one of four levels of difficulty, and really they are all just the same class type but at differing levels.

The thing that annoys me most though is not the variety of un-exaplainable names, but that they appear to boast such a HUGE variety of classes and yet don't offer everything on their list on the timetable.

Clever marketing or just someone with too much time on their hands? I dunno, maybe it's some sort of cultural thing - let people THINK they're able to do many different types of classes cos each one has a different name, let them FEEL they're really smart and capable and all that, and they'll keep coming back.

Me... I think I still prefer the K.I.S.S. principle.

No comments: